Embedding external data in XOVI
September 20, 2017
Today, successful websites use a variety of tools for a range of different purposes, and it can be difficult to keep track of all those figures and statistics on a daily basis. Pressed for time, we often only take sporadic glances at the tools we use. Which is why with today’s release, it is now possible to embed external data in the XOVI Suite and keep all your data in one place. Whether analytics, data from other SEO tools, Screaming Frog data or Amazon’s partner program – every took can now be embedded live via the web service or, if you don’t have a web service, via .csv upload.
While the time factor is one issue, another is the problem of creating reports with data from so many different tools. In XOVI, it is now possible to create homogenous reports which do just that, adding different data from different tools with a single click. Everything together in one place and under one roof, without having to log into different interfaces.
How is data visualized?
Data can be embedded in XOVI in the form of tables, graphs, bar charts and pie charts or displayed as so-called performance indicators.
How is data embedded?
Data can be uploaded either via a file or via URL (web service/API).
- URL (Web service/API): When uploading data via URL, pay particular attention to your caching settings. If the data changes less regularly, the cache value should be higher so that data isn’t newly uploaded every time – this should improve load times. Sometimes, authentication data such as user names and passwords or additional header and post parameters also need to be defined. Additional data can be added via the “advanced” tab when adding data.
- Upload: Exported data from a tool such as Screaming Frog cannot be uploaded via URL and must therefore be uploaded via file. Data is then cached and must be manually replaced when necessary.
Which file formats can XOVI read?
When uploading data via file upload or URL, the file must be in .csv, .xml or .json format. In .csv files, column, line and text dividers can be freely selected, leaving you completely free to decide how you want data to be presented. You just need to make sure that the relevant parameters are set correctly to ensure that data is presented right.
If you upload via .xml, we convert this automatically to .json …
When uploading via .json, a preview of your data is shown so you can decide straight away whether or not the data has been correctly interpreted and presented. If titles, columns and lines haven’t been interpreted and presented correctly, you can alter these straight away. Our XOVI Support Team is on hand to help at any time.
To help get you started with embedding data in XOVI, we’ve produced some demo data which should show you how your files should look.
Embedding data in XOVI via your own webservice
Sometimes, it can useful to set up your own web service to deliver data in .json format via your own web server. This data can come either from an internal database or from a local file which is regularly updated – or even bring together data from various different sources. Make sure you protect each directory with a password (htaccess), which can usually be done via your provider’s server administration tool.
More ideas for embedding data in the XOVI Suite:
- Google spreadsheet (.csv link)
- Screaming Frog (file upload)
- SimilarWeb (API)
- Alexa (API)
- Ahrefs (API)
- Majestic SEO (API)
- SEMrush (API)
- Sistrix (API)
- Google Analytics (API)
- MailChimp (API)
- Google Trends
- Trusted Shop, e.g., customer reviews (API)